Moodle 3.2: Import Results of Paper Exams into the Moodle Gradebook
Applies to: Moodle 3.2
You can import scores to your Moodle grade book from exams taken in class if you:
- Use exam answer sheets provided by the Office of Measurement Services (OMS).
- Request a Moodle Data File from OMS before your exam.
- The grades received from OMS are in a CSV file with one column containing student Internet IDs and the remaining columns containing grades.
Ordering paper exam answer sheets
- Go to Order Testing Services.
- Download the Exam Report Order Form:
- Click Exam Reporting Order Form (PDF).
- Print the form.
- Fill it out completely. On page 1:
- Go to Report Results, then Additional Files.
- Check Moodle Data File.
- Send the form to the address specified on the form.
Importing results of paper exams into the gradebook
- Open the CSV file with the exam scores on it
- Change the Internet IDs to [email protected].
- Change the title of the Internet ID column to Username.
- Save changes to the file and save the file to your desktop.
- Go to your Moodle course gradebook.
- From the gradebook drop-down menu, select the Import >CSV file.
- Drag and drop the CSV file from your desktop to the file upload box.
- In the Import Preview window, set the fields as follows:
- Identify user by:
- Map from: Username
- Map to: Username
- Grade item mappings
- Score: newgradeitem (this will create a new column)
- OR select already existing grade item (column). Note this action overrides existing grades in that column, if there were any.
- You may safely ignore the rest of the columns.
- Identify user by:
- Click the Upload grades button.
Technical Tip for Open Office Users
Open Office usually adds extra quotation marks (") to the CSV file, which causes issues during import. To fix the issue:
- In Open Office, go to File > Save as.
- In the pop-up window, check the Edit filter settings checkbox and click Save.
- Erase whatever you see in the Text delimiter field.
- Click OK.
- Save the file and import it into Moodle.