Moodle 3.2: Grade Assignments with the Detailed View
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
The Detailed grading function in assignments allows the grader to review each student submission one at a time. Depending on the feedback options chosen in the Assignment, using the Detailed view allows the grader to:
- Make annotated comments directly into the file (converted to a pdf), and saves that commented file as the Feedback file to the student.
- Give short, general comments in the Feedback Comments textbox
- Upload or drag and drop supplemental critique or instructional files into the proper student file feedback box
- Score the submission.
The grader MUST use the Detailed view to complete a rubric or grading guide.
If students have uploaded a PDF file to the assignment area, the PDF will appear in the main part of the detailed grading page. A PDF submission document can be highlighted and commented on with the tools in the annotator top menu bar. See Marking up a Student PDF Submission in the Detailed Grading Page.
Grading assignments using Detailed view
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the assignment you need to grade and click the assignment link.
- Click the View all submissions button on the assignment description page.
- Scroll down to the table of student submissions.
- Click the Grade button in the grade column.
- View the student's submission:
- Read Online text or
- Read and mark-up a pdf file submission(s) in the pdf annotator window. Any saved markup will be kept as a Feedback File.
- Click and open the submitted text (Word®) file, annotate it in the text application, and save the commented file on your desktop.
- Score the assignment using one of the following:
- Enter a number score in the Grade out of XX textbox
- Select the appropriate grade from the Grade menu.
- Select the rubric or grading guide evaluation options.
- Enter Feedback comments in the textbox or upload a Feedback file (optional) or the downloaded and commented submission text (Word®) file .
- Select Save changes.
To grade another student submission:
- Use the Change user menu or forward/back arrows to select another student to evaluate.
- Select the assignment link or course name link to exit detailed grading view.