How to Reset your Compass Password
You may reset your Compass password using the Self-Service Compass Password Reset utility or from the link within Compass listed under Employee. This article will guide you through using the self-service tool.
- While connected to the University network (on campus or using a VPN Client), Navigate to http://z.umn.edu/compassreset.
- Sign in using your Internet ID and Internet Password.
- Once you have logged in, the page will display your email address and the matching Compass ID.
- Click the reset password button.
- Connect to Compass and log in using the new temporary password.
- After successful login, a notification that the password is expired will appear. Click OK to set a new permanent password. For "Old Password" type the new temporary password.
- When setting your new Compass password, some special characters (such as #@$!) are not accepted and will cause issues for subsequent logins.
- Avoid all special characters in Compass passwords!
- Can cause Compass login error: "ORA-12154: TNS: Cannot resolve the connect identifier specified"
You may receive a message that says "You do not have a Database Login ID." In this situation, you will need to have your manager or supervisor complete an IS Request Form at z.umn.edu/isrequest.
Customers may report that when attempting to set their password within Compass, they receive an oracle error message if their password is expired
- "Database error ORA-00922: Missing or invalid option".
Customers may encounter this error if the old password is entered incorrectly
- "Error message ORA-28008: Please contact your database administrator",.
Have customer use the z.umn.edu/compassreset utility if customer reports these cases.
Please contact the Technology Helpline for additional assistance.