Duo: Use Remember Me
Duo's "Remember Me" feature saves you time while keeping your information safe. It is like the "remember my computer" or "keep me logged in" options you may have seen on other websites. Learn more about [email protected]
It should only be used with a device you own or that is assigned only to you. Never use the feature on public or shared devices. Also, it will only work on applications that use Shibboleth (UMN's main sign-in system), including email clients like GMail. Learn about using Duo with rich or non-browser email clients like Outlook.
Choose "Remember Me For 7 Days"
After you sign in to the UMN Sign-In screen, you will see the Duo authentication screen.
- Before choosing your authentication method, check the box next to Remember me for 7 days.
- Choose an authentication method (one of the green buttons). If you're using the recommended Duo Mobile app, you'll select Send me a Push.
- Verify your identity with your Duo-enrolled device or a passcode.
You won't need to verify your identity with Duo again for the next seven days, as long as you are using the same browser.
NOTE: some PeopleSoft pages do not allow the Remember me for 7 days extension; Duo must be used every time you sign in.
How It Works
When you check Remember me for 7 days, your browser is what does the "remembering." This means that Remember me for 7 days will not work if you:
- Switch browsers
- Use a private or Incognito window in your browser
- Use a different computer
- Clear your browser's cookies
- Have your browser block third-party cookies
For example, suppose you checked Remember me for 7 days yesterday when you were using Firefox. When logging in today, you decide to use Internet Explorer. Because you switched browsers, you'll be asked to verify your identity with Duo again.
Note: If you choose to use Remember Me, you will still be required to sign in to the UMN Sign-In page at the same intervals as you do today. However, you will only be asked to verify with Duo every seven days.
Cancel "Remember Me For 7 Days"
If you want to cancel the Remember Me for 7 Days feature, clear the browser's cookies and cache. When you restart your browser you'll see that it no longer "remembers" your Duo credentials.
Doesn't "Remember Me for 7 Days" Defeat the Purpose of Duo Security?
Is the Remember Me checkbox grayed out? If you have set Duo to send you a push notification automatically, the Remember me checkbox may be grayed out.
- Cancel the push by clicking the blue Cancel button in the lower right corner of the window. You will then be able to click the checkbox.
- Select the Send Me a Push button (or choose another option if you wish) to authenticate. You may also need to clear your browser cache to enable/disable this option for the first time.
Remember Me for 7 Days also may not work if you have enabled anyof the automatic call or code options in your methods. Switching to "ask me which way to authenticate" is currently the only solution for this.
Finally, if your web browser is set to clear cache and cookies upon close, the Remember Me option will not work. You can disable this in Chrome or Firefox. If your administrator does not allow you to disable clear cache and cookies upon close, you can choose to manually allow cookies for login.umn.edu.