Duo: Log in with Hardware Token Passcodes
You can authenticate with Duo using two types of tokens: Hardware tokens (first and second images below) and security keys (also called 'U2F tokens', third image below).
This page describes the authentication process when using a hardware token. For more information about U2F tokens, see Hardware and Security Key (U2F) Tokens.
Getting a hardware token
- To request a token, visit a walk-in location. You can call 1-HELP (612-301-4537) to also request a hardware token and verify your identity via video. You will need to have a government-issued photo ID with you so that your identity can be verified.
- We recommend requesting a token only if you have a business need, or if you cannot use Duo on other devices.
Decide What Devices to Enroll in Duo
- Each hardware token is tied to one user. The passcodes generated by that token can only be used by that user.
- Tokens are free of charge.
Using a hardware token-generated passcode
- Navigate to the service you need to access. A UMN Sign In page opens.
- Sign in as usual.
- Press the button on your hardware token to generate a new passcode.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted with Duo options.
Choose Enter a Passcode.
- Enter the code from your hardware token.