Duo: Add a Landline Authentication Method
If you set your Duo authentication through your mobile device (such as a smartphone or tablet), you are encouraged to add a backup telephone number to your Duo authentication options in case you forget your mobile device. A landline in your office can be a good choice; if you are adding a Google Voice number as your secondary telephone number, the process is the same as adding a landline.
Note: University accounts created after March 2019 are ineligible for Google Voice.
There are two options for adding landlines.
- Add a Landline Phone from the My-Account page
- Add a Landline Phone from the Duo Authentication Screen
- Navigate to my-account.umn.edu and sign in with your UMN internet ID (x500) and password.
- In the Self-Service menu on the left side of the page, click on Duo Security to expand the menu.
- Click Create or Manage Duo Account.
- If this is the first device you are activating, you will see a welcome screen. Click Start Setup.
- If this is not your first device, authenticate with Duo and then click Add a new device.
- Choose landline.
Enter your phone number, confirm it is correct, and then click Continue. Your landline will now be listed as a Duo device.
See Use a Landline to Authenticate for instructions on how to use this method of authentication.
From the Duo Authentication screen (Note: you will see this screen anytime you are prompted to verify your identity with Duo, i.e., following the UMN Sign-in screen. If you have enabled the "Remember me for 7 days" setting, you can click cancel to return to the Duo authentication screen.
- Select Add a new device from the left menu in the Duo Authentication box.
- Authenticate with Duo using on of your other devices to ensure that it's really you adding a device.
- Choose landline from the list of device options
- Enter your landline number and confirm it is correct.
- The device you added will appear in your list of Duo-enrolled devices, and you may begin to use it to verify your identity.