Drupal Enterprise 7: Add an Existing Field to an Existing Content Type
The following instructions are for websites using the default UMN Drupal Enterprise 7 (DE7) configuration.
When working with fields, it is always preferable to reuse existing fields than to create new fields.
This is the second of ten tasks in Creating a New Content Type.
Additionally, your role in Drupal may not have the proper permissions to complete the task. Contact your site administrator for additional information.
- Click Menu in the Administrator toolbar.
- Click Structure in the Menu bar.
- Click the Content types link under Structure.
- Click Manage fields in the Operations column next to the content type you want to edit.
- Click the Manage Fields tab.
- Enter a label in the Label field under Add existing field.
- Select the existing field you want to add to this content type in the drop-down menu under Machine Name.
- Select a form element from the drop-down menu under Widget.
- Click Save.
- Depending on your selections, you will have additional options for the field. Make sure to complete all required fields.
- Click Save settings after configuring any additional options for the new field.
- You should now see the field added to the content type's list of fields.
- Repeat steps 6 through 10 for each existing field you wish to add to the content type.