Drupal Enterprise 7, 8: Re-use Documents Using the Media Module
The following instructions are for websites using either the default UMN Drupal Enterprise 7 (DE7) configuration or the default UMN Drupal Enterprise 8 (DE8) configuration.
All media uploaded via the Drupal interface is stored in your site's files. Because of this, you can easily re-use images and other media on many pages. For example, you might have an image of your building/office that you want to have appear on many different pages, or you might have a PDF that you want to have on multiple pages.
There are two useful benefits to re-using documents: (1) it reduces the space your site uses on the servers, and (2) if you need to update a piece of media (for example: a professor wants to update their profile picture), you only need to update the file and every use is updated.
To re-use a document
- Place your cursor in the rich text field where you want to place the link to the document
- Click the Media Browser button on the editing toolbar
- click the UMN Library tab
- note: this is your site's library, not the entire University
- Locate the document you want to use. Utilize the filters at the top to limit the items in the list
- Click Submit (in DE7) or Place (in DE8)
- Click Submit (in DE7) or Embed (in DE8)