Downloads and Guides: Install AnyConnect VPN for Windows
This article covers installing Cisco AnyConnect on a Windows computer with a University of Minnesota profile built in. If you are looking for instructions for how to install AnyConnect on a Mac, see Downloads & Guides: Install AnyConnect VPN for macOS. For instructions on how to connect to the University's VPN with AnyConnect, see Downloads & Guides: Connect to AnyConnect VPN for Windows 10.
Note: Installation requires administrative access to your PC. If you are using a University Managed computer, use Software Center to install the application, as that eliminates the need for administrative access. Using Software Center is outlined in ConfigMgr: Software Center. With any questions or issues please contact Technology Help.
- Navigate to the Downloads & Guides page.
- Click the Download link under AnyConnect for Windows.
- You may need to log in with your Internet ID and password.
- Find and open the .exe folder labeled anyconnect-win-<version>-repack.
- Right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator.
- A command window will open and show the install of the VPN client as well as the diagnostics and reporting tool
- Click Finish, if applicable.
Note: If you run without administrative privileges, the command window will exit immediately and fail even with an installation complete message. When running the executable in Windows 8, Windows SmartScreen will prevent you from running an unsigned app. When you get the error message, "Running this app might put your PC at risk," click More Info and Run anyway. For further instructions please see Downloads and Guides: Advanced Instructions for VPN on Windows.