Downloads and Guides: Connect to L2TP Native VPN for Windows 10
Users who cannot connect to Cisco AnyConnect, the University of Minnesota's recommended VPN client, can connect via the built-in ("native") VPN client. This article will assist you in creating and configuring the University of Minnesota (UMN)'s L2TP Native VPN for Windows 10.
Add UMN L2TP Native VPN
- Navigate to Network & Internet.
- Start > Settings > Network & Internet
- Select VPN in the left hand menu.
- Click Add a VPN connection.
- Configure the L2TP Native VPN connection according to the following settings:
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: UMN L2TP Native VPN
- Server name or address: nct.vpn.umn.edu
- VPN type: L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key
- Pre-shared key: S3cur1ty!
- Type of sign-in info: User name and password
- User name (optional): Internet ID
- Password (optional): Internet ID password
- NOTE: Leave the User name and password blank for now, it will prompt you as you connect.
- If you enter your UMN credentials here, they will need to be edited whenever you change your UMN Internet password.
- Click Save.
- Your new VPN network will now appear under VPN in the VPN section of the Network & Internet menu. Connect by clicking the connect button.
- If you run in to problems setting up UMN L2TP Native VPN according to these instructions, contact Technology Help.