Downloads and Guides: Cisco AnyConnect on ChromeOS
This guide is intended for those who utilize Chromebooks and other ChromeOS devices to use Cisco AnyConnect to configure the Virtual Private Networking (VPN) service on your device. This article includes steps to:
- Install Cisco AnyConnect on Chrome OS
- Configuring Cisco AnyConnect
- Connect to VPN
- Additional Information
Install Cisco AnyConnect on Chrome OS
Installing Cisco AnyConnect will only need to be done once on the device. By following the steps below, you can get the application installed.
Shortcut: install the client found here: Download Cisco AnyConnect from Google Chrome Webstore
- Navigate to your Navigation Bar, typically at the bottom of your screen and click on Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and navigate to the Google Chrome Webstore
- In the Search box of the Chrome Web Store, enter "Cisco Anyconnect" (without the quotes)
- Click Add to Chrome. You may get a message like the image below
- Click Add app to proceed to install.
The application is now installed and you will proceed to configure the client.
Configuring Cisco AnyConnect
Now that the client is installed, you will need to configure the connection. The following steps below will have you creating a connection named "UMN VPN" but you can name it anything you wish. You will only need to do this once.
- Open your Apps window.
- Select Cisco AnyConnect and open the application.
- Click on Add New Connection once the application opens.
- Enter UMN VPN into the Name field and set the Server address to tc-vpn-1.vpn.umn.edu
- Press Save Settings; no other settings need to be defined.
You have now configured AnyConnect for your device.
Connect to VPN
Now that AnyConnect is installed and configured, you will need to do the following steps every time you wish to connect to the VPN.
- Click on your Wifi signal in the notification area and click the VPN button.
- Click VPN again from the Settings window.
- Click on Cisco AnyConnect: UMN VPN (User) **If you named UMN VPN differently, it will show that name instead.
- Click Connect.
- Fill in the fields appropriately:
- Select the appropriate group field -- In most cases this will be AnyConnect-UofMSplit or AnyConnect-UofMvpn (Full Tunnel)
- Enter your InternetID in the Username field
- Enter your Internet Password in the password field (This password is used in MyU, Gmail, and most University services)
You are now connected. When you are done with this, go to your navigation area to disconnect from VPN services.
- If you run in to problems setting up or using the AnyConnect client according to these instructions, please contact Technology Help.