Connect via VPN in Ubuntu
This article will assist users who are running Ubuntu in connecting to the UofM Network via VPN.
- To check if the VPNC package has been installed on the Ubuntu machine, run the command "dpkg -l vpnc" (lowercase L). If the output is "No packages found matching vpnc." then VPNC is already installed.
- To install, run the following commands:
- sudo -s (input the account password when prompted to elevate permissions)
- apt-get install vpnc
- Prior to running VPNC, the user enter sudo -s in the command line and enter account password to elevate his/her permissions.
- Type vpnc and hit Enter. Fill in the prompts as follows:
- IPSec gateway address: tc-vpn-1.umn.edu
- IPSec ID: UofMvpn
- IPSec Secret: S3cur1ty!
- Username: Internet ID
- Password: Internet ID password
- To disconnect from the U of M vpn, type "vpnc-disconnect" in bash.