Canvas Transition: Review Your Grading Structure
At this point in your transition to Canvas, the grading structure for your course should be close to the structure you had in Moodle.
If all of the Moodle activities transitioned to Canvas, the structure should be perfectly aligned. If some activities were not transitioned, it may be off. To find out if the Moodle and Canvas point totals match, you need to generate a Test Student.
Use the Test Student View
In Canvas, there is a Test Student view that you can use any time within your course.
- Navigate to the home page of the course you want to view as a student.
- Find and select the Student View link in the right Sidebar. The page refreshes to the Home page. Running across the bottom of the screen is a pink band which says "You are currently logged into Student View."
- Click Leave Student View (right side of the pink band).
Comparing the Canvas total number of points to Moodle's total
You will need to check to see if the total number of possible points is the same in Canvas as it was in Moodle.
- Click Grades in the course menu.
- Click Gradebook on the top left of the gradebook table and select Individual View.
- Under Content Selection change the Select a student dropdown to Test Student.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Student Information section. You should see Final Grade: X% (Y / Z).
- Z is the total points available for the course.
- Compare this total to the total points available in Moodle. If it is different:
- Determine the difference.
- Note the activities that were not transitioned which resulted in the discrepancy.
- Resolve the discrepancy.