Canvas: New Rich Content Editor (RCE) and Content Selector
As of January 4, 2021, Canvas features a new Rich Content Editor (RCE). The RCE is where you format text and embed media when creating:
Inserting Canvas Content Using the New RCE toolbar
The first thing you will notice is there is no Content Selector on the right side of the screen. In the previous RCE, the Content Selector displayed resources already in your Canvas course. Its three tabs, Links, Files, and Images, allowed you to link to these resources with a single click.
You can still link to course resources using the New RCE's toolbar. There are four buttons all side-by-side on the New RCE's toolbar:
- Record/Upload Media
Each button has a drop-down menu with options for selecting specific course content.
When you click one of the Canvas content buttons, a context-sensitive Add menu appears on the right.
Understanding the New RCE Insert Content Buttons
- Links allows you to add an external link or choose from course content including:
- Course Navigation
- To learn more about the Links button, read Create hyperlinks to course or group content in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor.
- Images allows you to upload an image or select an image from the course or your user files. To learn more, read Embed images from Canvas into the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor.
- Record/Upload Media allows you to embed media. UMN recommends you use the Kaltura embed button instead. See Add Media from Kaltura Using the Rich Content Editor for information.
- Documents allow you to upload a new document or select one from the course or your user files. To learn more, read Embed documents from Canvas in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor.
- For additional information see the Canvas Community resource What is the New Rich Content Editor?