Canvas: Add Proctorio to a Quiz
This article assumes that you have already created a quiz and that you would like to add Proctorio Secure Exam remote proctoring to it. There are two types of quizzes offered in Canvas: the Classic Quiz and the New Quiz. Proctorio Secure Exam proctor can only be used with Canvas standard quizzes. If you have not created a quiz yet you can review information from Canvas on quizzes.
In order to use Proctorio, you must be using the Google Chrome Browser and have the Proctorio Chrome Extension installed in order to follow the directions below.
Adding Proctorio into Navigation
For each course you must have Secure Exam Proctor enabled in the Navigation tab of the course settings. If the external tool has already been added to your course, skip to the next section to add Proctorio to a quiz.
- Go to Settings within your course.
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for Secure Exam Proctor in the "Drag items here to hide them from students" area.
- Select Secure Exam Proctor and drag it into the "Navigation items for the course."
- Note: Even though you are moving this into the course Navigation menu, the Secure Exam Proctor tab will be hidden from instructors and students.
- Scroll down and click Save.
Adding Proctorio to a Standard Quiz
- Click on Quizzes in the left Navigation menu.
- Click on the name of the quiz that you would like to add Proctorio to.
- Click on the Edit button at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the Quiz Restrictions area.
- Check Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor and click the link to the Proctorio Settings tab.
- Note: You must be using the Google Chrome Browser and have the Proctorio Chrome Extension installed to see these options in the Quiz Restrictions area.
- If you have not already set one you will be prompted to upon trying to Save.
- If you are planning on having your students take an exam in a computer lab do not enable the Verify Video or Verify Audio features.
- Click on any settings you would like to enable or disable.
- Enabled Proctorio settings are light blue.
- Canvas quiz options automatically let students see correct answers once submitted. If you do not want students to see correct answers until everyone takes the test that box must be unchecked in the Canvas quiz setting area (See What Options Can I set in a Quiz?).
- Scroll down and click Save if you are still planning on editing the quiz more or Save & Publish if you would like your students to now see the quiz.
- There are recommended items for University of Minnesota faculty in Canvas Commons. This includes a Practice Quiz, Getting Started for Faculty, and Getting Started for Students guides. You can find these items by searching UMN Proctorio.
- For live chat help directly from Proctorio, click the Proctorio shield icon to the right of the URL address in Chrome.
- For more information on the features and use of Proctorio, go to the Proctorio Professor Support Center. You will need to be logged in to Canvas and have the most up to date version of the Proctorio Chrome Extension on your browser to see this content.