WiFi: Register a Device for the Encrypted Internet of Things (IoT) Service
Students at the University of Minnesota can register personal gaming or streaming devices for Internet of Things (IoT) service. Follow these steps to register your device for the Encrypted IoT Service. This step is a part of the Register a Personal Device for the Internet of Things (IoT) Wi-Fi Service guide.
Registering a Device for Encrypted IoT Service
- Go to the Wi-Fi Registration webpage; if inaccessible please try the alternate Wi-Fi Registration webpage.
- These two links will only work if you are accessing this article on campus through a device connected to eduroam or you are connected to VPN.
- If you are registering this device for yourself, sign in with your Internet ID and password.
- If you're working on behalf of a department or another individual, please contact Technology Help.
- From the side menu under Devices, select Create Device.
- In the MAC address field, enter the wireless or Wi-Fi MAC address for the device.
- The device name can be whatever you choose. For example, if you are registering a Roku, you might name it Goldy's Roku.
- Enter a name for the device in the Device Name field. This name is to help you identify the device to yourself in the future.
- Check the Wi-Fi Password box.
- If you are registering a device that you are casting or communicating to from another device (such as your smartphone), as part of the registration process:
- Check the AirGroup box.
- Leave the default Personal selected in the Ownership section.
- If you will be sharing the device with your roommate or another person, put their Internet ID in the Shared With field, separating multiple IDs by commas.
- This will allow you to cast from another device to the registered device even if they are connected to different SSIDs (e.g. eduroam, UofM-Guest, etc.).
- Select Create.
- Your device is now registered. You can connect to the IoT Encrypted Service.