ServiceNow: Manage Visual Task Boards
There are many details to note about working in and managing your Visual Task Board.
This article covers:
- Use Filters on the Task Board
- Understand the Drag-and-Drop Functionality with Cards
- Edit and Modify the Task Board
- Share your Task Board
- Review your Task Board Activity
Use Filters on the Task Board
Filters will automatically appear at the top of your created Task Board.
- In a Freeform Board, Labels are added as default Filters. You will see colored dots at the top of the page. You can turn these on or off at any time using the Labels icon .
- In a Data Driven board, you will need to use the Labels icon to turn those on if you would like them.
- In a Data Driven board, you may be seeing a list of people at the top, these are filters as well and represent people that items from the data set you pulled your board from that have items assigned to them.
Understand the Drag-and-Drop Functionality with Cards
Both Lanes and Cards within Visual Task Boards are able to be dragged and dropped to different locations.
- On Data Driven Boards be careful with this functionality. If moving a Card does something such as change the Status of an Incident (such as moving it from a “Work In Progress” Lane to a “Resolved” Lane), it will update any and all underlying records.
- If there is additional information needed to complete the movement of a card from one lane to another, such as Resolution Code, you will get a prompt saying the UI has prevented you from making the change, and you will be able to update the record from that screen.
Edit and Modify a Task Board
To customize how your Task Board looks, click on the Configuration icon .
- To change certain settings, like Board Color and Lane Configuration, you must open the Configuration menu and click on Advanced Settings > at the bottom of the menu.
To add more Lanes, click on + Add Lane to the right of the last Lane in the list.
- In Freeform boards, the default Lanes are titled To Do, Doing, and Done. To change these titles, click on the name of the Lane you’d like to change the title of and type over the words.
- In Data Driven boards, the titles of the Lanes will be driven by the data you’ve selected to populate the board with. You are able to add other Lanes and title them to your liking, but any Cards within this manually created Lane may not send data back to records like the other Lanes.
To add Cards to Lanes, click on + Add Task at the bottom of the Lane you’d like to add the Card to. Note: This will create a New Task on any associated records which is especially important for Data Driven boards. Once you name the Card, you have the ability to open the card and modify information from the Card Details Page (note: any actions taken here will update the underlying Task record):
- The Additional Comments section shows in the Card Details. You are able to add comments as needed.
- There is a checkbox under the Additional Comments field to make the comment Work Notes - Not Viewable by the Customer if needed.
- In Details on the right, you’re able to add a Primary Assignee to the Task.
- Note: Making someone an Assignee on a Task will not give them access to the Task Board. It will only Assign them the Task record. To give someone access to the Task Board you must make them a Member.
- If you need to add an Additional Assignee you can do this by clicking on the Assignees icon and then clicking on + Add Additional Assignee.
- Any Assignees added will appear as Filter items at the top of your Task Board.
- You can add an Attachment to the Card by clicking the Attachments icon and then clicking + Add Attachment.
- You can make a checklist for the Card by clicking on the Checklist icon and then clicking + Add Item to add checklist items.
Share Your Task Board
Adding Members to your Task Board allows those Users to see the Task Board and update Cards.
- To add Members click on the Users icon and then click on + Add Members.
- Once Members are added, easily communicate with them by clicking on the Connect with Board Members icon .
- Any Members added will appear as Filter items at the top of your Task Board.
Review Your Task Board Activity
Click on the Activity icon to review the Activity Stream of all Cards that are on your Task Board.