ServiceNow Knowledge: Import Word Documents as Articles
The ServiceNow Knowledge Base offers the ability to import documents saved in Microsoft Word format (.doc, .docx). The benefits of importing Word format docs are:
- List and table formats are maintained.
- Images are pulled into the article along with their Alt text.
- The import process removes all extra HTML formatting.
- If you edit the article in ServiceNow, you may need to clean the article before submitting it for review or publishing it. See ServiceNow Knowledge: Remove Extra HTML Formatting from an Article.
What to Know Before Importing
- Articles originating in Google Docs may present an error message, and the cause is not easily identified.
- The file extensions .doc or .docx should be in lowercase format.
- The Word document will need to be free of comments, embedded video or forms.
- Images import as attachments to the article and are not uploaded to the image library. They cannot be reused between articles.
Importing a Word document
- Select Search under Knowledge in the Application Navigator on the left.
- Click the Import Articles button in the upper right of the header.
- Browse to your Word document, select it, and click Open.
- Complete the Import form:
- 1. Drop Files Here: We recommend uploading single files, but this can be used to add additional files to the upload
- 2. Article 1: Enter a name for your article (default is the name of the file)
- 3. Knowledge Base: Select the appropriate Knowledge Base
- 4. Category: Select the appropriate Category from the menu
- 5. Publish: Leave this unchecked, you will need to finalize the article before publishing
- Click Import. When the import is complete, an Import Completed notification appears at the bottom of the screen with an arrow on the right-side.
- Click the Arrow for a link to the article (non-editable view).
- Click Close.
Finding the article
- Click My Drafts under Knowledge Base in the Application Navigator on the left.
- The article that you created by uploading the Word file should be listed there in your drafts list.
Editing the article
- Open the article in Edit mode.
- Set the required article fields prior to editing the content:
- Service Offering
- Assignment Group
- Assigned To (set this to yourself while you are working on the article)
- Review the article for formatting inconsistencies and correct as needed.
- Review all images and add Alternate Text if necessary. See Write Alternative Text for Images.
- Click Save.
Publishing the article
- Follow standard publishing procedures by having your article reviewed.
- Click Publish in the upper right.
ServiceNow Article ID