ServiceNow Knowledge: Create a Work-in-Progress Article from a Resolved Incident
When resolving an Incident with the Type: Incident, you must identify the knowledge you used to resolve the issue. If no knowledge article in ServiceNow currently exists, you should create a Work-in-Progress article from your resolved Incident.
Creating a Work-in-Progress knowledge article while resolving an incident
- Before resolving the incident, check the Create Knowledge Article checkbox in the Incident form.
- Enter complete Resolution notes for the customer. This will be the body of your draft article.
- Rewrite the Short Description if necessary. This will be the title of your draft article.
- Check your Work Notes and edit for clarity.
- Resolve the Incident as you normally would. A Knowledge Article created confirmation message appears at the top of your screen.
Improving your Work-in-Progress knowledge article
You are always welcome to improve your own Work-in-Progress articles.
Note: Improving Work-in-Progress articles is NOT a required part of the Incident process.
- Find your article:
- Work-in-Progress articles will show up in any search.
- If you have difficulties:
- Go to Knowledge > Search in the Application Navigator.
- Select the Work in Progress KB.
- Search for your Internet ID.
- Edit for clarity using the standards defined in the Checklist for Revising Work-in-Progress Knowledge Articles.
- If you feel an article should be published to the IT General Support or Public knowledge bases, contact a knowledge editor from your assignment group, or a knowledge coach. They will:
- Edit the article as necessary.
- Review and publish either internally or publicly.
Publishing an article
- Remove WORK IN PROGRESS: from title of article. Ensure that the title is appropriate for the content and easily searchable.
- Ensure the proper keywords are in place for the article to aid with search.
- Remove WORK IN PROGRESS from the beginning of the article.
- Change Knowledge Base to IT General Support.
- Use standard publishing processes to change the article from a draft.
- When an Incident is resolved and the Knowledge article box is checked an article is created with values set to:
- Knowledge Base = Work in Progress
- Workflow = Published
- Title = Incident short description prepended with "WORK IN PROGRESS"
- Service Offering = Value from the Incident record
- Technology = Value from the Incident record (if one was selected)
- Assignment Group = Value from the Incident record
- Expiration = 1 Year
- Source = Incident number that created the article
- Content =
- Incident Short Description
- Resolution Notes for the Customer from the Incident
- No content
- Incident number