Salesforce Marketing Cloud: Create A New Message
Template-based email messages in Salesforce Marketing Cloud are assembled by filling blank content blocks with any combination of new content, content previously saved for reuse, and dynamic content that changes based on a sequence of logical rules. Generally, one content block will contain one paragraph of text and one image (if any). Any content blocks left blank in your template will be removed when the email is sent, so feel free to ignore any extra blocks when ready to send your message.
Creating a New Message
- Make sure you are looking at My Emails, available by clicking the Content tab at top.
- Click Create at the top of the My Emails list.
- Choose Template Based.
- Click the Select… button next to the required Template field to choose the template from which your email message will based.
- To pick from templates you have created yourself, choose My Templates, then select the template desired. Click OK.
- To pick from templates created by others in your department, choose Shared Templates, then select the template desired. Click OK.
- For the required Email Name, fill in with a concise description of the email message to be developed. This would be the equivalent of a file name, and should be distinct for each email you create.
- Enter the Email Subject line.
- If no customization is desired, simply type in your Subject line.
- If you’d like the recipients’ first or last name, or email address to appear in the subject, use the Recipient button to select the appropriate variable to be inserted at your text cursor.
- For example, if you would like your subject line to read: “John Doe, here’s your August newsletter” …it would be formed here as: “%%First Name%% %%Last Name%%, here’s your August newsletter”
- Ensure that spacing and punctuation are inserted correctly as needed between variables. In the above example, we needed to type a space between the First Name and Last Name variables so they didn’t get pushed together into one word.
- If you would like the subject line to be customized based on a series of logical rules instead, type the default Subject line first, then select the Rules button to set the rules for this customization.
- Enter an optional Preheader line.
- This is the first element recipients will see in their email message; inside the body of the email, but above the header and rest of the content.
- If no customization is desired, simply type in your Preheader line.
- If you’d like the recipients’ first or last name, or email address to appear in the preheader, use the Recipient button to select the appropriate variable to be inserted at your text cursor.
- For example, if you would like your preheader line to “John Doe, here’s your August newsletter” …it would be formed here “%%First Name%% %%Last Name%%, here’s your August newsletter”
- Choose where your email will be saved by clicking Select… next to the Location field.
- Choose My Emails to keep the message within your own account.
- Choose Shared Emails to allow other accounts access to the message.
- Click the New… button to create a new folder within My Emails.
- When all fields are filled, click Save at the top-left of the frame. If you require changes to these fields later, you will find them accessible by clicking Properties in the toolbar above your editing window.