Get Pointers for Requesting an Emergency Migration
When a code change is needed to resolve a production issue, please consider the following questions when evaluating whether an emergency migration is justified.
- Where does the applicable deadline (e.g., business cycle deadline, regulatory deadline, etc) fall relative to "now" and the next standard migration window? What flexibility, if any, exists for those deadlines relative to the next standard migration window?
- How many students are affected? Are they all affected in the same way and at the same time? Can any accommodations be made to mitigate the negative effects to some/all of those students (e.g., waive late fees, etc.)?
- What is the nature of the workaround? How complex is it? How sustainable is it and over what timeframe?
When an emergency migration is requested, please include the following information in the business justification (as well as any other information that is pertinent).
- Briefly describe the issue and the approach for the solution.
- Include any specific business process cycle deadline dates and indicate the nature of the date (e.g., relates to University policy, or is set by state/federal regulations); if there is a gap between the requested emergency migration date and that deadline (especially if the standard migration date falls between them), then articulate the reason for the gap (e.g., is there a require review period prior to the deadline, etc.)
- Describe the size of the affected student/user population.
- Describe what happens if the migration doesn't occur when requested (e.g. what is the negative business cycle impact; what is the compliance sanction); provide a brief outline of the contingencies that were considered.