News & Alerts
Zlinks gets an upgrade May 31
The University's popular Z.umn.edu URL-shortening service will roll out a refreshed look and new features May 31, 2017. The upgrade will take place between 6 and 8 a.m., during which time no new zlinks can be created. All current Z.umn.edu links will remain active and transfer to the new site where they will benefit from the new features.
Available to anybody with a University of Minnesota Internet ID, the service enables users to create custom URLs ending in umn.edu for their University-related projects.
The changes were made following requests from users and focus on shareability and organization. Improvements include:
- Transfer Ownership - a user will be able to transfer ownership of a link. This comes in particularly helpful if a project/event changes hands or if a user leaves a position.
- Collections - users will be able to group URLs into collections to better organize around an event, department, or project. Collections can also be shared with other users who will then also have access to edit and add URLs.
- Twitter - as soon as a URL is created, the user will be able to share it via Twitter with a simple click right from Z.umn.edu.
- QR Code - a custom QR code will also be automatically created with any new Z.umn.edu link allowing the user to direct traffic in a printed piece using scanning technology.
- Improved accessibility compliance for a better user experience.
The URLs never expire and there currently is no limit to the number of URLs an individual can create or manage. Once created, the URLs can be shared with both University and non-University audiences.
For more information about Z.umn.edu, contact Technology Help at 612-301-4357 (1-HELP).