News & Alerts
Zoom Now Integrated in Canvas
Zoom, the University's online meeting tool, is now integrated in Canvas. With this integration, instructors can schedule and hold online meetings that appear in Canvas course calendar. Zoom in Canvas can support teaching and learning by enabling instructors and TAs to:
- Deliver lectures for fully online and/or hybrid courses
- Hold online breakout sessions
- Hold office hours
- Host test preparation sessions
There is no need to install any software to use Zoom in a Canvas Course. Below are the instructions for adding Zoom in your course navigation.
Install Zoom in the Course Navigation
- Log in to Canvas as the course instructor or administrator and navigate to the course where you would like to add the Zoom link.
- NOTE: Canvas courses that are part of the Health Care Component, must select the Zoom for BAA option.
- Click Settings.
- Click Navigation.
- Drag Zoom from the hidden items to the place where you would like it to appear in the navigation.
- Click Save.
If you are new to Zoom, visit the it.umn.edu webpage to learn more about the tool and available self-help and training.
Access and Permissions
The Zoom integration in Canvas has different permissions than UMN Zoom.
Faculty, Staff, and Sponsored Accounts
- Can schedule and host meetings.
- Attend Zoom meetings set up by their Canvas Instructors or TAs
- Can see Zoom meetings in their Canvas calendars and in their "coming up" feed on the Canvas dashboard.
- People with Guest accounts can attend Zoom meetings.