News & Alerts
News from NGN: Upcoming wired network upgrade in St. Paul
Wired network equipment upgrades will begin on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities St. Paul campus in July 2018 as part of the multi-year Next Generation Network (NGN) project.
The upgrade work will occur building-by-building. While work is underway, WiFi and wired network service to the building will be intermittently unavailable. The outage period will depend on the amount of equipment to replace and upgrade.
Visit the NGN website at it.umn.edu/ngn-schedule to view the projected wired network upgrade schedule and estimated downtime. Please note: The NGN upgrade schedule is subject to change.
Progress will be tracked as closely as possible and the schedule will be updated once the upgrade in each building is complete. Outage duration is an estimate and may change. Start dates may be adjusted at any time, so be sure to continue to check the schedule.
Please be aware that there will be a network outage for both WiFi and wired internet connections as a result of this work. Share the details of the wired upgrade with your teams and departments and inform your faculty and researchers that there will be a network outage. Be aware of sensitive research or running processes, classes, meetings with a video component, or events that may be affected. Where possible, consider alternate options for your work: Move presentations to thumb drives, save documents to your desktop to work offline, utilize a mobile hotspot, work from a remote location, different building, or University library, or conduct meetings in person or via phone where an internet connection is not required. If you have schedule questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NGN teams will be placing signage in buildings where they are actively working. If you would like to request additional print-on-demand or digital signage for your buildings or offices, please contact email@example.com.
- Wired network upgrade work will happen during business hours, from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cuts to the new equipment and related network outages will generally be performed in the morning hours.
- The project team does not expect to perform any building cuts on weekends or holidays. Overtime work is not in scope.
- The NGN project team will work with Office of Classroom Management (OCM) and Academic Health Center (AHC) Classroom Management to minimize disruptions.
- In the rare cases where the upgrade team needs to enter a room, OCM and AHC will provide access to classrooms and spaces when needed.
- If you have classroom or schedule considerations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wired upgrade support
- If there is a local DHCP server on your network, you must verify the jack/port with OIT by contacting Technology Help. If you utilize the enterprise DHCP service, no action is needed.
- All support inquiries should be sent through Technology Help (1-HELP).
- NGN teams are coordinating with Desktop Support and other groups to help with support in the field.
- Please be assured, the project team will not cut over anything during any phase of NGN if there is a known service issue with the new process, functionality, or equipment. If you have any questions, please contact the NGN team at email@example.com.