University hosts annual meeting of higher ed CIOs
The University of Minnesota will play host to the 2015 Committee on Institutional Cooperation Chief Information Officer (CIC CIO) meeting today and tomorrow. The meeting, expected to draw the top information technology leaders from 12 major universities (see below) is an annual event designed to provide IT leaders with an opportunity to share best practices, identify collaboration opportunities, and discuss industry trends.
"It's an honor for us to host this meeting and share some of the priorities and initiatives we've been working on over the last year," said Scott Studham, vice president and chief information officer for the University of Minnesota.
Topics at the two-day event range from strategies for cyber-security to innovations in new learning technologies. University President Eric Kaler also is scheduled to meet with the group and highlight several of the IT@UMN initiatives that are helping position the University of Minnesota as a leader in information technology design and delivery. Among the initiatives to be highlighted by the recent PeopleSoft upgrade, our campus-wide IT governance processes, and a number of efforts playing a critical role in the University's ability to meet its Operational Excellence goals.
Created in 1958, the Committee for Institutional Cooperation was developed as an academic counterpart to the Big 10 athletic conference, and today includes membership from 15 research universities.In addition to their yearly meeting, this group of technology leaders works together on a portfolio of inter-institutional technical projects, including a large-scale fiber optic network, identity management, accessibility, data storage services, leadership development, online course initiatives, and other projects identified by the member university campuses.
Attendees at this year's CIC CIO meeting include:
- Mark Askren, CIO, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Steve Fleagle, CIO, University of Iowa
- Mark Henderson, CIO, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Michael Hofherr, CIO, Ohio State University
- Kathie Koch, Interim CIO, University of Chicago
- Bruce Maas, CIO, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Gerry McCartney, CIO, Purdue University
- Kevin Morooney, CIO, Penn State
- Sean Reynolds, CIO, Northwestern University
- Don Smith, CIO, Rutgers
- Scott Studham, CIO, University of Minnesota
- Brad Wheeler, CIO, Indiana University
- Elizabeth Stovall, Associate Director, Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC)