News & Alerts
Security Notice: Scam Email Targeting U Students
The University has seen a recent increase in scam emails targeted at students regarding false job opportunities. The emails may come from a variety of senders, with differing subject lines, but the message claims that a guaranteed job offer is available for the student. One tactic used by the “employer” or sender is to ask the student for money to come to the United States so they can hire them.
Potential subject lines include:
- Employment Opportunity For Student Only
- EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR MALE AND FEMALE STUDENT APPLY NOW
- Employment Opportunity
- New Personal Assistant Needed ( Part-Time Job )
- Job Opportunity
- SCHOOL RESUME
- School Announcements
- University Announcements
Some emails have a text file attached, which so far has contained the phony job offer instead of malware. However, users should never open unexpected attachments.
What you should do:
If you receive a phishing message, you should:
- Mark the message as spam in Gmail (this will help educate Google’s spam filters), and delete it.
- Do not engage with the sender or forward the message.