Inbox by Gmail is now available to the UMN community
University of Minnesota users now have access to Inbox by Gmail, a Google app focused on improving email productivity and organization. Inbox is available for all users except those users within the Academic Health Center (AHC), as per the University’s Business Associate Agreement (BAA).
Inbox categorizes your email, based on importance or prioritization. It provides the ability to “snooze” emails and reminders until you’re ready to get them, bundle similar emails together, and receive information “cards” for things such as flight times. Watch Google’s introductory video, Meet Inbox by Gmail to see examples of its features.
Key features of Inbox by Gmail include:
- Improved inbox management:
- Mail is automatically bundled into categories such as Promos, Social, Purchases, Trips, and Low Priority
- Pin important emails so they are easy to find
- Snooze emails and reminders until you’re ready for them
- Integrated Calendar reminders that can be tied to email messages
- Suggested responses when replying
Advanced Gmail features not yet available with Inbox:
- Advanced search options drop down menu.
- Ability to create filters and canned responses (compose and save a message you can reuse as often as you’d like)
- Offline mode
- Ability to tag a message or conversation with multiple labels
- Vacation responder (must be enabled in Gmail settings)
Getting Started with Inbox
Inbox is available on the Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers, as well as Android and iOS operating systems. To get started using Inbox with your University account:
- Sign in to your University Gmail account.
- Visit inbox.google.com
- Click Next and you’ll be set up with Inbox right away.
The Gmail web and mobile interfaces are still the preferred email clients at the University and and will continue to be supported alongside Inbox by Gmail.
If you have additional questions, please contact Technology Help.