News & Alerts
New Features are Available for Embedding Kaltura Media in Canvas
The “Embed Kaltura Media” button in the Canvas Rich Content Editor (RCE) was recently updated with new features.
From the RCE, at the time of embed, users can now:
Enable media to be downloaded by viewers
- This is a benefit to learners who may have limited access to the internet.
Embed audio clips in a smaller player
- Previously, audio-only clips were accompanied by a video-sized black screen. Hearing the audio and seeing a black screen caused some learners to think there was supposed to be a video and it simply wasn’t playing correctly. The new embed audio in a smaller player feature provides a distinct look for audio-only media, reducing confusion.
Embed as a thumbnail
- This feature shows a thumbnail of the media instead of the full player interface. When a viewer clicks the thumbnail, the player interface appears.
Set embed preferences as your default.
Any of the above selections are set as your new default when clicking the </> Embed button on the Embed Kaltura Media page.
- If you do not want your selections to become your new default, uncheck the checkbox.
Set start/stop times of the clip
- When embedding a clip, you can now set the start time and end time to indicate which segment of video you’d like learners to focus on. Viewers will still be able to view the whole clip if they prefer.
Please note: these changes will not impact existing Kaltura embedded videos in Canvas. To take advantage of these features, you will need to re-embed your Kaltura media using the Rich Content Editor.
See Canvas: Add Media from Kaltura Using the Rich Content Editor for more information.