Upcoming Network Switch Upgrade
During the week of September 13th - 17th, the Data Network Services (DNS) team will upgrade network switch software on the Twin Cities campus. DNS is performing this upgrade to ensure we are operating on the latest vendor supported code to mitigate code defects and increase overall network security. This upgrade will create a more stable and reliable network environment.
Multiple network switches will be upgraded at the same time following the schedule below. Field staff will be on site in case any hardware experiences failure. We expect this upgrade to cause a 15-25 minutes outage for each network between 5am and 7am. During that time users will experience loss of network connectivity, including WiFi. Note: This will not impact the Data Center Network.
- Monday, September 13th: Saint Paul Campus and Como area
- Tuesday, September 14th: West Bank Campus
- Wednesday, September 15th: East Bank North of University Ave Mall area
- Thursday, September 16th: East Bank South of University Ave
- Friday, September 17th: East Bank North of University Ave (Remaining Buildings)
Data Network Services has tested this in the lab and has already successfully upgraded all of the Reslife network switches.
After the Twin Cities campus upgrade is complete, the team will begin upgrading networks on each of the other system campuses including Extension sites and Research and Outreach Centers statewide. DNS will post reports of these upgrades to the service status page after they’ve been completed.