Drupal 9 goes Live Nov. 19, 2020!
Starting November 19, all new University websites will be created using Drupal 9. This includes both Drupal Enterprise and Drupal Lite sites.
- November 19, 2020: Drupal 9 becomes available to the University community
- July 2021: Deadline to move sites to Drupal 8 for OIT to update them to Drupal 9
- November 2021: Drupal 8 reaches end-of-life
- November 2022: Drupal 7 reaches end-of-life (Drupal.org extended support for Drupal 7 by one year)
What’s New in Drupal 9
- New media library replaces entity browser
- Drupal 9 drops deprecated code from Drupal 8
Action Required for Site Owners and Admins
Site owners and admins have two ways they can approach the transition of their Drupal 7 websites:
- Those who want OIT to update their site from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 must migrate their site to Drupal 8 by July 2021.
- Those who want to take advantage of the extra year of support for Drupal 7 must move their sites directly into Drupal 9 by November 2022, skipping Drupal 8 altogether.
Note: No action is required by sites that are already in Drupal 8 Lite. Drupal 8 Enterprise sites must be compatible with Drupal 9 before the transition.