Canvas Release Notes May 2021
Read highlights from the May 15, 2021 release notes below.
Student Annotation Submissions
- Instructors can use an annotated assignment type to upload a file for students to annotate and submit directly in Canvas. Additional submission options should be selected if students may be unable to annotate onscreen.
- Instructors will select the Student Annotation option for the Online submission type. They will then select the file from either their course files or user files.
- Students can complete the annotation assignment directly in Canvas using the annotation tools in DocViewer.
- Once submitted, a student can review their submission. However, the annotations on the file are shown as read-only and additional annotations are not allowed.
- Student annotation assignments cannot be used for group assignments.
- This assignment type is not currently supported for mobile devices.
Auto-Show Closed Captioning
- Users can access the User Settings page to enable the Auto-Show Closed Captioning feature for Canvas Media. This functionality is supported for captions added to recorded Canvas videos or uploaded videos in a course.
- Does not apply to videos uploaded from external tools such as Kaltura.