MSSQL Database Hosting: Service Guide
The MSSQL Database Hosting Service provides professionally-managed database environments. OIT systems and database administrators manage the infrastructure, operating system, hardware, database software, backups, and security. The application administrators retain responsibility for application administration and customer support for their users.
- Environments: MS SQL Database Hosting customers may have databases in one or more of the following environments; Development, Test, and Production.
- Authorized Requestors: Each University department may designate a list of employees to act as authorized requestors and manage AD access to their databases.
- Authentication Accounts: SQL Authentication accounts may be requested on an as needed basis for application accounts.
Back-end Database Support Services
These service are provided to MS SQL Database Hosting customers:
Backup and Recovery
- Backups are available for database DR scenarios.
- Full backups are taken weekly
- Differential backups are taken daily
- Log backups are taken every 15 minutes
- Backups are retained for 14 days
- Zabbix is used to monitor each database instance
- Database support is alerted for service impacting and other critical system wide events aligning with the service level availability below
- Database auditing is setup in compliance with University auditing policy
- Service level availability:
- PRD: 24x7x365 with scheduled Sunday maintenance
- DEV/TST: available M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Security patching is performed within 30 days of security patch release date, per University security policy
- Customers are notified prior to patch install date.
- OIT’s established maintenance window is used for patching PRD systems
- Comply with University Policy: Customers interested in hosting their data in the hotel databases must adhere to the Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources policy.
- Determine Data Security Classification: Customers should review the Data Security Classification and determine the security level of their data. Customers may host data classified as private-highly restricted in the database hotel but PCI and PHI (HIPAA-regulated) data are excluded from this service. OIT evaluates each database to determine if it is eligible for our shared hotel environments.
- Review Your Responsibilities
Database Hosting customers are responsible for:
- Maintaining and supporting sources connecting to the database instance.
- Maintaining security, validity of data, access control for users and application accessing the data.
- Providing application administration and end users customer support.
- Request Hosting Services: Units must go through an onboarding process in order to use the service. To get started, the local IT or business unit director should contact the Service Owner for Hosting Services.
- Request Hosting Support (existing customers): Existing customers can reach database support via firstname.lastname@example.org for service requests.