You are here
Moodle for Students: Turnitin Guide
Applies to: Moodle 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0.
This guide provides step-by-step instructions for submitting a Turnitin assignment within Moodle. If you have any trouble submitting your assignment, please contact Moodle Support for assistance.
Note: Files must contain a file extension in the title (.pdf, .docx, etc.) or Turnitin cannot identify the type and produce and originality score. Turnitin will not accept PDF image files. PDF files which do not contain highlightable text (e.g., a "scanned" file, which is often simply a picture of text) are unacceptable.
Submitting an Assignment to Turnitin
- Click on the Turnitin assignment from your course home page.
- On the assignment page, click the Add submission button.
- For an assignment that requires you to attach a file, upload the file or files.
- For an online text assignment, enter or copy and paste text.
- Click Save changes.
For more information about completing assignment submissions, see Submit and/or Edit Your Assignment Submissions
Note: If you have never submitted a Turnitin assignment before on the current Moodle server, you may be asked to agree to the Student Conduct code before submitting your assignment.
Moodle 2.6 and 2.8: Wait until your browser finishes processing. It may take up to 15 seconds. Then you will see a confirmation and a Turnitin submission ID. If you do not see this message, your assignment has NOT been submitted to Turnitin.
Moodle 3.0: You will see Pending almost immediately. You don’t have to wait until the Turnitin ID actually appears.
Viewing your Originality Report
If your instructor has enabled viewing of originality reports, you will be able to see your originality score (% on a red background) on the final page of the submission process. This normally takes a few minutes to appear. It may require waiting overnight for a resubmission for the icon to appear. Click the originality score icon to go to Turnitin to see possible matching sources.
Viewing Grades and Comments in Grademark
- If your instructor has graded your assignment in Grademark, a Grademark icon (blue pencil) will appear in your assignment submission.
- Click the blue pencil to go to Turnitin and see your grade in the upper-right part of the page. The grade will also appear in the assignment and the Moodle gradebook. Your instructor may also have made comments to the page.
- If your instructor entered grades directly through the assignment rather than GradeMark, you will not see the Grademark (blue pencil icon). If you see the originality score (% on a red background), click the originality score and the the Turnitin document viewer will appear. Click the GradeMark tab on the upper left to view your instructor's comments.
- Close the Turnitin tab or window to return to the assignment.
If you have any trouble submitting an assignment with Turnitin, please contact Moodle Support, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL of the course and the name of the assignment.