Moodle for Students: Quiz Taking Tips
Moodle is no longer available for active teaching Fall 2019. Because most functionality has been turned off, some of the information resources linked on this page are no longer available. Learn how to transition to Canvas.
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
Students: Here are some tips for taking a quiz or test in Moodle.
Avoid wireless (WiFi) connections
- If the signal is weak or there is a brief interruption of service during the quiz, you may be unable to submit.
- A wired internet connection is always recommended. All computer labs have wired connections. See Computer Labs Locations and Hours.
- Avoid using a public wireless connection, e.g., at a coffee shop.
- With Eduroam or wireless at home, make sure you have a strong and reliable connection before attempting the quiz.
Be careful when scrolling in a quiz window
Answers may be changed when you:
- Click near the answers for a previously answered question. This might accidentally change the original selection.
- Use keyboard shortcuts, arrow keys, and/or the tab and enter keys; these could change selected answers.
- Moodle will NOT change selected answers on its own.
Save early and often
- Click Save my answers every few minutes while taking a quiz so your answers are saved to the server.
- Unsaved answers are lost if the quiz page changes for any reason, even accidentally (e.g., hitting the back button, clicking a bookmark, etc.).
- If you are working on an essay question in another window, you should go back to the Moodle browser window and click Save my answers at least every 10 minutes. This tells Moodle you are still taking the quiz, and Moodle will not time you out.
Save early especially for timed quizzes
- If you have a time limit to take a quiz, plan on saving and submitting your attempt with a few minutes remaining on the countdown timer.
- Saving a quiz is NOT instantaneous.
- When you click the button to start a quiz, various computer speeds, including client and server, determine how quickly the quiz is displayed and affect actions such as saving and submitting the quiz.
What to do when the quiz times out
If your quiz times out, try the following:
- Open another browser window and access another University of Minnesota web site.
- If another web site will not load, try another non-University web site.
- If neither page opens, the problem is most likely with your internet connection.
- If you can load non-University web pages, but you can't load University web pages, check System Status for any known issues.
- If there are no known issues with University systems,Contact Moodle Support.
Contacting Moodle Support
If you need to Contact Moodle Support, include:
- Time and date the problem occurred.
- Title of the course site:
- Example: FSCN6601_001S16;
- URL (web address) of the course site:
- Name of the quiz you were working on.
- Internet node you were using at the time. To find the Internet node:
- Open a new window in the same browser you are using for the quiz
- Go to this address https://moodle.umn.edu/node.cgi
- Copy the text that appears on the web page and paste it into your support request.
- Let your instructor know so that they are aware of the issue.