Moodle for Students: Download and Install Respondus LockDown Browser
Applies to: Moodle 2.6, 2.8, 3.0.
Students: If an instructor has required you use Respondus LockDown Browser for added security when taking a quiz, you must download and install Respondus LockDown Browser before you can start the test. The link to download Respondus Lockdown Browser is available when you access the quiz that requires it.
Respondus LockDown Browser works on both Windows and Macintosh computers.
Downloading and installing Respondus LockDown Browser
- Go to your Moodle course site and click the quiz link. You will see the message “Respondus LockDown Browser is required for this quiz.”
- This screen shot shows where you will see the 'here' link in your Moodle quiz. Click 'here' to download the installer.
- Check that Respondus detected the correct Operating System before downloading.
- Click Install Now. This will download a .zip archive containing either a .pkg (Mac) or .exe (Windows) file. If the .zip file doesn't unpack automatically, double click on it.
Taking the Quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser
- Run LockDown Browser from your desktop (PC) or from your Applications folder (Mac).
- You will see a pop-up asking you to Choose Server. From the drop-down menu, choose the Moodle server your course is on and click OK.
- You may see a pop-up suggesting that you close one or more programs before continuing. Click Yes to have LockDown Browser do this for you.
- You will then be prompted to log into Moodle with your Internet ID and password.
- When you are successfully logged into Moodle, you will see your Dashboard. DO NOT click the quiz link below your course name in the Course Overview. Instead, click the name of your course site to go to the site home page.
- Navigate to the quiz you need to complete. The quiz will have “Requires Responds LockDown Browser” in the title. Click the quiz name to access it.
- Click Attempt quiz now.
- When you have saved your answers and are ready to submit the quiz, click Submit all and finish. Verify that you understand that you will no longer be able to make changes and click Submit and finish again.
- Click the X icon on the far upper right. For “Are you sure you want to exit?” click Yes.
Your quiz has been submitted and you have been returned to your computer.
If you run into any issues taking a quiz with LockDown Browser, see Troubleshooting Respondus LockDown Browser.