Moodle 3.2: Use your computer's webcam to record a new video with Kaltura
Applies to: Moodle 3.2
Kaltura is a media management system that can be used to upload video files as well as to create webcam recordings. Videos in Kaltura can be viewed from phones, tablets, and computers. Kaltura is accessed through your Moodle course site.
Using your webcam to record a new video
- First, add the resource, assignment, or text box that will contain the Kaltura video:
- Add a Kaltura Video Resource - Creates a page in your Moodle course site for a video with room for text description above the video
- Add Videos in a Text Box using Kaltura - Add a video that will display directly in text boxes such as forum posts, assignment instructions, etc.
- Add a Video Submission Assignment (Kaltura Media Assignment)
- When the My Kaltura Media window opens, click +Add New in the upper right.
- Select Record Your Webcam from the dropdown. The Record Your Webcam window will open. You may need to scroll down to see this window fully.
- Your computer may prompt you to allow Kaltura to access your camera and/or microphone. If so, click Allow to give Kaltura access to your webcam.
- You can select to turn off the video and just record audio or vice versa by clicking the gear button in the top right hand corner and selecting the camera or microphone to turn it off.
- Note: It may take a few moments for Kaltura to show your camera on-screen.
- Record and Save your video.
- Click the red record button or anywhere in the video window to start recording.
- Click the white square button to stop recording.
- Optional: click the white playhead to view your recording.
- Optional: click the red record circle to delete and re-record your video.
- Click Use This.
- Enter a Name, Description and Tags. These will not appear in Moodle, but can be useful for locating and repurposing your video later.
- Scroll down and click Save. The page will reload with a confirmation at the top.
- Scroll up to the top of the Kaltura window and click <> Save and Embed.
- Finish the instructions for the method you are using: