Moodle 3.2: Use a Progress Bar Block
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
The Progress Bar block is a tool which allows instructors to track students' progress in the course, while also allowing students to review their own progress.
This article covers the following information on the Progress Bar:
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Look for Add a Block at the bottom of the left column.
- Click the Add... drop-down menu and select Progress Bar.
- Move the Progress Bar block to wherever desired in the course site using the arrow icon.
- Click Turn editing off.
Note: You can add multiple Progress Bars to track different activities or resources.
- Click Turn editing on in the course site.
- Find the Progress Bar block on your course site.
- Click the gear icon in the Progress Bar block and select Configure Progress Bar Block.
- If desired, enter a title for the Progress Bar into the Alternate title field. The default setting is “Progress Bar”.
- Select Progress Bar Block settings:
- Use icons in bar (Yes/No): You may wish to add check/cross icons to make this block more visually accessible to students with color-blindness.
- Use Now (Yes/No): Not all courses are focused on completion of tasks by specific times. Some courses may have open enrollment which allows students to enroll and complete when they can. To use the Progress Bar as a tool in such courses, set Expected by dates in the far future and set the "Use NOW" setting to No.
- Show percentage to students (Yes/No): It is possible to show an overall percentage of progress to students. This is calculated as the number of items completed divided by the total number of items in the bar. The progress percentage is displayed until the student mouses over an item in the bar.
- Monitored: Set Yes for each resource ⁄activity you want monitored in this block. (Hidden items will not appear in the Progress Bar until they are unhidden.)
- Locked to deadline (not available for all activities): Where an activity has a deadline in its own settings, and a deadline is set, it is optional to use the deadline of the activity, or to set another separate time used for the activity in the Progress Bar.
- Expected by: Set the date and time when the activity⁄resource is expected to be completed/viewed by (some activities have deadlines set; if so, that deadline can be used or another can be set in the Progress Bar block configuration).
- Action: Choose the action you want to be monitored for this resource/activity. Different actions appear for different items in the course (e.g. For Assignments you can choose that the action be submitted or graded).
- Click Save changes.
The Overview of students button in the Progress block shows the progress all students have made in the defined progress block. If Separate or Visible groups are enabled in the course, students can be filtered by group. Filters can also be applied for different roles in the course (Student, Participant).