Moodle 3.2: Set Up Activity Completion for Activities or Resources
Applies to: Moodle 3.2
Activity Completion provides a way for resources and activities to be more closely tracked and delivered to students. It also provides check boxes for each activity listed on the course home page. When students complete an activity or resource according to the criteria set up by the instructor, the check box will be checked to give a visual representation that the activity is complete.
More advanced use of this tool allows the instructor to keep activities and resources hidden from students until a certain subset of activities is completed (i.e., have a quiz automatically appear to students after a page has been viewed and a practice assignment has been completed).
For the following instructions to work, Activity Completion must be turned on in the Course settings. See the instructions on Enable Completion Tracking.
Setting up Activity Completion for an activity or resource
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Find the activity you want to modify.
- Click the Edit menu to the right of the activity.
- Choose Edit Settings.
- Scroll down and click Activity completion to see the options. Each type of activity will have different completion options:
- Set the Completion tracking option to one of the following:
- Do not indicate activity tracking. There will be no checkbox for this activity.
- Students can manually mark the activity as completed. Students will need to check this box to indicate that the activity is complete.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met. The box will be checked after the completion conditions are met.
- Select other options for completion tracking if necessary, such as:
- Require viewing
- Require a grade
- Require a passing grade
- Complete all attempts
- Optional: Set a date when the activity is expected to be completed.
- This date will show up in the Activity completion report. It does not display for students.
- Click Save and return to course.
Activities with activity completion enabled will have a check box to the right of them on the home page.
- If the item has manual completion enabled, the student will need to check the box to show that they have completed the activity.
- If automatic completion is enabled, the box will become checked after the completion conditions are met.