Moodle 3.2: Require Students to Upload a Specific File Type for an Assignment
Moodle is no longer available for active teaching Fall 2019. Because most functionality has been turned off, some of the information resources linked on this page are no longer available. Learn how to transition to Canvas.
Applies to: Moodle 3.2
Instructors can require students to submit a certain type of file for an assignment by changing the submission settings within a given assignment. This setting may be helpful for instructors who wish to use the updated detailed grading page in Moodle 3.2.
The new detailed grading page automatically opens a PDF file within the page and allows instructors to make comments and annotations directly on the assignment. This new feature only works with PDF files that students upload to the assignment area.
Changing the Assignment Submission File Settings
- Go to the course home page and click Turn editing on.
- Find the assignment that you want to require a certain file type for submission.
- Click the Edit menu to the right of the assignment.
- Choose Edit Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down and click Submission types to see the options.
- Make sure that the box next to File submissions is checked.
- In the Accepted file types box, type in the file type you want to require students to upload
- Type .pdf in the box to limit students to upload only PDF files
- You can use a semicolon between file types to add multiple file types, (e.g. ".pdf; .docx; .jpeg").
- If the field is left empty, all file types are allowed.
- Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
When students go to the assignment area to upload their assignment, they will see a note under the file submission box indicating what file type they are required to upload.
If students try to upload a file type other than what you have set in the submissions setting, they will receive an error message that says their instructor requires a certain file type for the assignment. The error message will also direct the students to look below the file submission box to see the required file type.