Moodle 3.2: Overview of the Gradebook
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
The Moodle Gradebook is accessed by clicking on Gradebook setup from the Administration block in a course site homepage. The Grade book tool allows instructor or teaching assistant to:
- View, edit, or enter grades.
- Organize items and categories.
- Set weightings.
- Use advanced grading features.
- View reports.
- Export and import grades.
- Create non-numeric grading scales.
- Modify the letter grading ranges.
Understanding Gradebook Organization
The Gradebook contains a drop-down menu (top right-hand side of the page) to access the organization and configurations areas of the Gradebook. Re-ordering individual activities and/or using categories for organization in the gradebook only affects views in the Grades tool. The placement of activities in the course site is not changed. Likewise, rearranging activities on the course site does not alter grade book organization.
Options in the gradebook drop-down menu
- View -
- Standard Gradebook: Shows all student grades in a spreadsheet format. Allows you to enter grades manually.
- Grade History: Contains a search engine for activity grades of one or more students; has an optional date range; results are downloadable.
- Outcomes Report: Contains a listing of developmental outcomes used in the course site.
- Edit by Item or Student: Allows for easy editing of scores for a single graded activity or a single student.
- Student View: Shows grades, ranges, feedback, and course total for an individual student. This view is what a student will see in the Gradebook.
- Setup & Layout -
- Gradebook setup: Contains the primary organization and aggregation area of the Gradebook with the following options: add categories, add graded Items, add outcome items, determine extra credit, drop lowest grade(s), keep highest grade(s), configure weighted categories and assignments.
- Course Grade Settings: Determines how the gradebook and reports appear for all participants in the course.
- Preferences: Standard Gradebook: Allows you to change the display of the Standard Gradebook report for yourself.
- Scales –
- View: Can be used to view and create non-numeric ways of evaluating student performance.
- Outcomes –
- Outcomes used in course: Choose which institutional outcomes to use.
- Edit outcomes: Allows instructor to add extra outcomes. Institutional outcomes are not editable.
- Import outcomes: Allows instructor to upload a file with created outcomes.
- Letter Grade – View/Edit: Shows the letter grading sequence and values. Can be edited.
- Import – CSV files, Paste from a spreadsheet or CVS Import Plus: Allows instructor to import grades from specified file type to add grades to the Gradebook.
- Export –
- Send grades to PeopleSoft: Allows for a direct upload of grades to PeopleSoft; see Send Grades to PeopleSoft.
- Exports gradebook information. Four formats available: Plain Text file (cvs), Excel spreadsheet, PeopleSoft Upload File, OpenDocument.
- Group options – Gives grading options for group work (available only if the course site settings have set Groups > Groups mode > Separate groups or Visible groups).