Moodle 3.2: Overview of Assignments
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
Moodle's Assignment module allows instructors to:
- Collect submissions from students (as online text or attached files).
- Review them (online or via downloaded files).
- Provide feedback (within the submitted file(s) or online in the Moodle assignment area).
- Administer a score or rating.
- Accept a submission from a group project.
Student submissions are visible only to Instructors and Teaching Assistants; never to other students. Group assignments can be created with one or all group members required to submit. Instructors can use their personal off-line evaluation methods, or one of Moodle’s built-in rubric or grading guide systems.
The submission of text or files using the assignment module is only accessible by the instructor or a designated grader like a Teaching Assistant. Text feedback, feedback files, or feedback within the student submission file will only be accessible by the student through the assignment submission page. Students cannot see each other’s work or feedback from the instructor.
Group assignments allow groups to submit (a) file(s) as a group project. A setting can be applied to accept the file(s) with or without a “sign-off” by all members of the group. When grading and giving feedback to a group assignment, instructors and graders have the option to send either:
- Individual grades and feedback comments/file(s) to each group member.
- The same grade and feedback comments/file(s) to all members of the group.
The instructor may also initially send the grade and feedback to the full group and then modify those items for individual users that contributed more or less to the project.
Group members access their feedback text and file(s) themselves via the assignment submission page.