Moodle 3.2: Link to a Google Drive Folder or File
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
Large files should not be stored in Moodle. It slows the course site down for student use and makes copying the course forward for another semester very difficult. The recommended maximum Moodle course site size is 1GB. All uploaded files contribute to this course size.
Instead of uploading large files directly to a course site, store large files in Google Drive. Share a Google Drive link with students using a URL resource or by adding a link in text.
Getting a Google Drive folder or file link
- Log into your UMN Google Drive at: docs.umn.edu
- Select the folder or file by clicking on it. Action icons will appear in the top menu bar.
- Click the Share icon . The Share with others window pops open.
- Make sure the folder or file is shared with your class.
- Click Advanced in the lower right. A list of who has access and their sharing rights is displayed.
- For information on using Google Course Groups to easily share Google Docs with your class, see Using Google Course Groups.
- For information on sharing in Google Drive, see Share Google Drive files and folders (Google Help).
- Copy the Link to share
- Click Done.
Pasting the Google Drive link in a Moodle URL resource
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Google file or folder.
- Select URL and click Add.
- Type a Name. This will be the text that links to the Google folder or file.
- Optional: Enter a description in the Description text box.
- Scroll down to External URL and paste the Google Drive link.
- Keep all other settings the same.
- Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
- Click Turn editing off.
- Test your link to make sure it goes to the correct file or folder. If it does not, Turn editing on, and Edit the link.
Note: You can also add a Google Drive file link to any text box in Moodle (e.g., in a Page or a Label), by using the Link button .