Moodle 3.2: Grade Assignments using a Grading Rubric
Rubrics can be an excellent evaluation tool with its graduated table setup and ability to include few or many criteria. As the assignments become more advance the rubric can evolve to include more detail. Once created, Rubrics and Grading Guides can also be reused with other assignments. To grade assignments using a rubric, the assignment must have a rubric assigned to it.
There is no Quick Grading option on the assignment submission page when using grading guides or rubrics.
Accessing the assignment with the grading guide
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the assignment and click its link.
- Click View all submissions in the bottom-center of the page.
- Click Grade in the grade column for a user. The file is converted to a pdf file and opened in a new editing window, with the grading rubric on the right side.
- Review the student submission.
- To use the rubric in an easier view click the Zoom in/out of region icon or use the Reveal Panel icons (left only/left & right/ right only.)
- Click the appropriate level to indicate your evaluation of each criterion and the points received for that level.
- The level you select will turn a shaded green color.
- Click the level again to deselect it, or click a different level for that criterion.
- Moodle sums the points given to each selected criterion, calculates a percentage of the maximum possible points, and applies that percentage to the full value of the assignment.
- That score is sent to the gradebook.
- Enter comments in the final column for any specific criterion if desired.
- Enter more detailed comments in the Feedback Comments textbox if desired.
- If necessary, click the Zoom in/out icon or center Reveal panels icon to return the rubric pop-out window to the right side.
- Select Save changes if you are finished grading this student.
- From the Change User menu select another student, or use the Forward or Back arrows.
- To return to the assignment list of submission click the assginmentname in the electronic breadcrumb path in the upper left corner.