Moodle 3.2: Grade Assignments with the Detailed View
Applies to: Moodle 3.2.
The Detailed grading function in assignments allows the grader to review each student submission one at a time. For an overview of new features in the Moodle 3.2 detailed grading page, see New Features in Assignment Detailed Grading Page. Depending on the feedback options chosen in the Assignment, using the Detailed view allows the grader to:
- Make annotated comments directly into the file (converted to a pdf), and saves that commented file as the Feedback file to the student.
- Give short, general comments in the Feedback Comments textbox
- Upload or drag and drop supplemental critique or instructional files into the proper student file feedback box
- Score the submission.
The grader MUST use the Detailed view to complete a rubric or grading guide.
If students have uploaded a PDF file to the assignment area, the PDF will appear in the main part of the detailed grading page. A PDF submission document can be highlighted and commented on with the tools in the annotator top menu bar. See Marking up a Student PDF Submission in the Detailed Grading Page.
Grading assignments using Detailed view
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the assignment you need to grade and click the assignment link.
- Click the View all submissions button on the assignment description page.
- Scroll down to the table of student submissions.
- Click the Grade button in the grade column.
- View the student’s submission:
- Read Online text or
- Read and mark-up a pdf file submission(s) in the pdf annotator window. Any saved markup will be kept as a Feedback File.
- Click and open the submitted text (Word®) file, annotate it in the text application, and save the commented file on your desktop.
- Score the assignment using one of the following:
- Enter a number score in the Grade out of XX textbox
- Select the appropriate grade from the Grade menu.
- Select the rubric or grading guide evaluation options.
- Enter Feedback comments in the textbox or upload a Feedback file (optional) or the downloaded and commented submission text (Word®) file .
- Select Save changes.
To grade another student submission:
- Use the Change user menu or forward/back arrows to select another student to evaluate.
- Select the assignment link or course name link to exit detailed grading view.