Moodle 3.2: Create a Grouping to Manage Course Groups
Applies to: Moodle 3.2
A Moodle Grouping is a set of Moodle Groups.
- Groups organize students for working on the same activity but within their specific group.
- Groupings can be used to cluster or define a set of groups. Groupings can work like a filter that restricts access to the content or activity to only those students in the set of groups in that Grouping.
Groupings are usually used in one of two ways:
- To Set up Multiple Different Small Group Activities in One Course Site
- To Limit Access to an Activity or Resource to Specific Groups
Creating a Grouping
Before creating a Grouping, you will need to create the Groups that will be associated with it. See Methods of Creating Groups.
Create the Grouping
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the Administration block:
- Click Users, then Groups.
- Click the Groupings tab towards the top of the page.
- Click Create grouping.
- Enter a Grouping name.
- If you are using the Grouping for a specific activity, it is good practice to give the Grouping a unique name.
- Example: For an activity titled “Week 1 Discussion,” you might name the Grouping “Week 1 Discussion Grouping.”
- Enter a Grouping description to help clarify the purpose of the Grouping and where it is being used on the course site.
- Scroll down and click Save changes. You will be returned to the Groupings tab.
Adding Groups to the Grouping
- Click the Show groups in grouping icon for the new Grouping you have made, under the Edit column on the right.
- Select groups from the Potential members box on the right.
- You can select multiple groups by holding down the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac) while you click on the groups.
- Click Add . The selected groups move to the Existing members column on the left.
- Verify you have all the correct groups listed in the Existing members column. If not, repeat steps 2-3.
- Scroll down and click Back to groupings.
- Return to your course homepage.
ServiceNow Article ID