Moodle 3.2: Add Proctorio to a Quiz
Applies to Moodle 3.2.
This article assumes that you have already created a quiz that you would like to add Proctorio remote proctoring to. If you have not created a quiz yet, see Create a Quiz.
You must be using the Google Chrome Browser and have the Proctorio Plugin installed in order to follow the directions below.
Adding Proctorio as an External Tool
You must use the Google Chrome browser to work with Proctorio, and each course must have Proctorio set up as a single external tool for the features to be available in the quiz tool. If the external tool has already been added to your course, skip to the next section to add Proctorio to a quiz.
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Proctorio setup instructions for your students.
- Select External Tool and click Add.
- Enter Secure Exam Proctor as the title. This title must be exact.
- From the External tool type menu pick Proctorio.
- Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
Special Notes about the External Tool plugin icon location
- The External Tool plugin icon should be placed in Section 0 for standard Topic, Weekly, or One Topic course formats. That way the External Tool will be activated when the course site is opened by the student.
- Do not place the External Tool plugin icon in the middle of a section. It May work at the top of the section with the exam, but the Section 0 topic is the preferred location.
- The External Tool plugin icon will disappear in the Chrome when editing is off. It will still be visible in Safari, Firefox, and Edge if the student uses one of those browsers for regular class work.
- Do Not Hide the External Tool plugin icon. It may negate the functionality of the tool.
Adding Proctorio to a Quiz
Before you can add Proctorio settings to a Moodle quiz you MUST follow the steps above to Add Proctorio as an External Tool. After the Proctorio external tool is added to your site your quizzes will have the extra configuration options related to Proctorio.
- Find the Quiz you want to modify. See Create a Quiz if necessary.
- Click the Edit menu to the right of the quiz.
- Choose Edit Settings.
- Scroll down and click Proctorio Settings to see the options.
- Check Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor to expand Proctorio Exam Settings.
- If you are unsure which settings you would like to enable review Proctorio Exam Settings. (You will need to be logged into Moodle to see this content)
- Proctorio will automatically set an hour time limit for your exam.
- To change this time limit go up to the Timing section, click Enable on time limit and modify the amount of time to the desired amount of minutes.
- If you are planning on having your students take an exam in a computer lab do not enable the Verify Video or Verify Audio features.
- Click on any settings you would like to enable or disable.
- Enabled Proctorio settings are light blue.
- Scroll down and click Save and display when you are done.
Editing a Quiz after applying Proctorio settings
Once the Proctorio settings have been applied to an exam, if you must make changes to the quiz itself you must use the Chrome browser. If you use another browser, students May experience issues of not being allowed to access the quiz due to this 'mixing' of browsers while the Proctorio settings were active.
- For live chat help directly from Proctorio, click the Proctorio shield icon to the right of the URL address in Chrome.
- For more information on the features and use of Proctorio, go to the Proctorio Professor Support Center. You will need to be logged in to Moodle and have the most up to date version of the Proctorio Chrome Extension on your browser to see this content.