Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Use your computer's webcam to record a new video with Kaltura
Applies to: Moodle 3.0, 3.2
Kaltura is a media management system that can be used to upload video files as well as to create webcam recordings. Videos in Kaltura can be viewed from phones, tablets, and computers. Kaltura is accessed through your Moodle course site.
Using your webcam to record a new video
- First, add the resource, assignment, or text box that will contain the Kaltura video:
- Add a Kaltura Video Resource - Creates a page in your Moodle course site for a video with room for text description above the video
- Add Videos in a Text Box using Kaltura - Add a video that will display directly in text boxes such as forum posts, assignment instructions, etc.
- Add a Video Submission Assignment (Kaltura Media Assignment)
- When the My Kaltura Media window opens, click Add/Record New Media in the upper right.
- Select Record Your Webcam from the dropdown. The Record Your Webcam window will open. You may need to scroll down to see this window fully.
- You may see an Adobe Flash Player Settings dialogue box. If so, click Allow to give Kaltura access to your webcam.
- Note: It may take a few moments for Kaltura to show your camera on-screen.
- Record and Save your video.
- Click the red record button or anywhere in the video window to start recording.
- When you are finished recording, click anywhere in the video window to stop recording.
- Optional: click the white playhead to view your recording.
- Optional: click the red record circle to delete and re-record your video.
- Click Save. The recording will upload to Kaltura, then display an “Upload Completed!” message
- Enter a Name, Description and Tags. These will not appear in Moodle, but can be useful for locating and repurposing your video later.
- Scroll down and click Save. The page will reload with a confirmation at the top.
- Click Back to Browse and Embed. Your new video will display at the top of the repository list.
- Click the triangle on the right side of the Select button to choose the size of your video and add it to your course. A preview page with the video will load.
- Finish the instructions for the method you are using: