Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Send Email to Students via Moodle (Quickmail)
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2
Instructors can email individual students, groups of students, or all the students in their course site using the Quickmail block.
- Email sent through Quickmail will be appear as if it were coming directly from the sender.
- Example: Instructor Jo Blank sends a Quickmail to all her students. They each receive an individual email in their inbox from Jo’s email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emails sent from the instructor to several participants will not show the other course participants' email addresses. It is similar to an email sent as a BCC (blind carbon copy) email.
- The subject line will automatically include the short course title.
- Example: Jo put “Week 1 Quiz Reminder” in the subject of her email. Her students see [ARTH1001] Week 1 Quiz Reminder as the email subject.
- Replies will be sent to the original sender by normal email.
- Example: Jo’s students can reply to her email, and she will receive it in her University Gmail inbox, not in Quickmail history.
Composing an email in the Quickmail block
- If necessary, Add the Quickmail Block.
- In the Quickmail block, click Compose New Email.
- Select email recipients:
- For an individual recipient, click their name in the Potential Recipients list.
- For multiple recipients, Ctrl+click (command+click) several names in the Potential Recipients list.
- To send to a Group, click the Group name under Potential Sections.
- See Overview of Groups for more information.
- For all students in the class, click All Users under Potential Sections.
- Click Add .
- Enter a Subject line for the email.
- Note: This is a required field. If you attempt to send an email without filling out the subject, the page will reload to the compose screen and the email will not send.
- By default, the subject line will include the short course title.
- Under Receive a copy, choose either Yes or No.
- If you choose Yes, you will receive a copy of the email in your University Gmail inbox.
- Click Send Email. The Quickmail history displays, listing the message you just sent at the top. The status should read all messages sent successfully.
- When you are done, return to your course homepage.
ServiceNow Article ID