Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Require Respondus LockDown Browser for Quizzes
Applies to: Moodle 3.0, 3.2.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser which ensures a student’s desktop can only access the quiz. It is based on the same system components and settings that make up Internet Explorer (Windows) and Safari (Mac) browsers already installed on computers. Respondus LockDown Browser is both Windows and Macintosh compatible.
When enabled for a quiz, the student receives a prompt to download the Respondus LockDown Browser application and install it before they can access the quiz. When the student then begins taking the quiz, the student is locked into the quiz until it is submitted for grading.
Respondus LockDown Browser prevents the student from:
- Opening additional browser windows
- Using other browsers
- Accessing another website
- Opening additional applications or files
- Using a printer
Selecting the quizzes to use Respondus LockDown Browser
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on. The "Add a block" block will appear at the bottom of the left column.
- Click Add.
- Select Respondus LockDown Browser.The Respondus Lockdown Browser block will be added to the bottom of other blocks.
- Click Dashboard... from the Respondus LockDown Browser block. A full list of all quizzes in your site will appear.
- Click the icon to the left of the quiz you wish to modify and select Modify Settings.
- Select the radio button for Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam. Advanced Settings will appear, but in most situations these are not needed.
- Click Save and close.
- Repeat steps 5-7 for additional quizzes if desired.
- Return to your course homepage when you are finished.