Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Drag and Drop Into Text Question Type
Applies to: Moodle 3.0, 3.2.
Drag and Drop Into Text is one of three new question types in Moodle 3.0. This question type allows students to drop text answers onto a placeholder in a sentence or paragraph. Answers can be grouped to help restrict choices, and their order can be randomized. The question requires:
- The question text
- Text answers
Creating the question
- From the course homepage:
- Go to the Administration block.
- Click Question Bank, then click Questions.
- On the Question Bank page:
- Select a Category to store the question.
- Click Create a new question and select Drag and Drop Markers from the list.
- Give the question a descriptive name to help you find it in the question bank. (Students do not see the name.)
- Enter the question into the text editor, using any formatting you wish.
- Use double square brackets '[[n]]' with a number in place of the word you wish the students to find.
- Add the missing words or phrases in the correctly numbered boxes in the 'Choice' section.
- You may add extra choice to make the question harder.
- Tick 'Shuffle' to randomize the display order of the choices.
- Select a Group number if you want to add grouping restriction. (See Groups below.)
- Limited formatting of text using , , , , and is allowed.
When moodle renders the question student will see black boxes in the sentences where they should drag and drop their choice of answers onto the box.
Adding extra choices using Groups
Choices that are within the same Group are color coded and may only be dropped in a box/gap with the corresponding color. Choices that are marked as 'Unlimited may be used in multiple locations.
An example of using groups might be: Group 1 is verbs while Group 2 is possessive adjectives. The students will see Group 1 as one color (white) boxes and Group 2 as another color (grey) boxes.
Enter your text using [[n]] where you want answers to be placed
Enter the answer choices in the same numeric order [[n]] as the text. The option to shuffle choices is above the choices.
Add additional choices as distractions, using the same Group number.
Preview of the question and color coded answer boxes and groupings.
The Preview question with correct answers filled in.